Tuesday, June 16, 2009

This is Africa...Patience...Patience

Hello from Kenya where nothing happens on time...So two of the projects we are working on are the tuition center and solar power! Aaron and I go into Thika to get the windows for the tuition center and pick up all of the solar panels and boxes. Because Kai is sick and Ann is home with him I decided to take Naya for her first trip into the big city...she did great by the way :) On the Matato/bus ride there, we take dirt roads for half the trip to avoid police checkpoints so a 40 minute trip takes 1 hr and 15 mins. When we get there we go to get the windows and find they are ready...amazing! We decide we will pick them up after I go to the bank and grocery store and aaron talks to the solar power people. Naya and I get to the bank at 3pm just as they are closing the doors. Thankfully they let us in, unfortunately we wait in line for 40 minutes to get help, oh well at least we got in! Then we go to the grocery store and finish all of our shopping...while shopping I meet aaron who tells me the solar power will be ready to be picked up in 15 minutes. While aaron secures a taxi I finish the shopping. I haven't brought a backpack because I know I can put all our groceries in the taxi and the taxi will take us right to WWB a lot closer than the half mile walk from the matato stop. Naya and I finish the shopping...quite a lot because it's our last supply run for a while and then we are waiting for Aaron. Aaron then comes up and says the solar power stuff now wont be ready until tomorrow or the next day (T.I.A. This is Africa). Because of this its not worth the extra money for a taxi..so we don't get the solar power stuff or the windows becuase we could never take the windows in a Matato!!! SO we are unable to complete the goals for our trip which were to get the windows and solar power. Naya and I did get a lot of groceries and supplies and the Matato ride back took the customary 40 minutes. Although the half mile walk home was difficult carrying about 50 lbs in groceries/supplies and Naya on my shoulders since she was tuckered out after a long day in Thika Town! I am learning that getting one thing done on a ten thing to do list in a day is considered efficient in Kenya...AMAZING! Much love from Devin, Ann, Naya and Kai

No comments:

Post a Comment