Monday, July 20, 2009

still waiting...

Hi All, I know many are waiting for decision regarding my last post. I'm sorry to say that there has been no word since that night. Wading through the cultural differences in how westerners handle matters and how Kenyans handle matters is something that we're trying to be patient with. From what I have seen there is no such thing as "zero tolerance" policy for ANYTHING. This means that all matters are granted a lengthy discussion (seriously like 3 hour meetings or more), several interviews of the various people who may have a stake in the issue, and then a "final decision" that will be made by the individual in power. The decision, in the end, is a result of leaders opinion of the severity of the offense and his opinion on the resulting discussion(s).

Cultural Differences: A funny story from the other day as a lighter example of this problem solving process: I am on the matatu, 3 guys get in at Thika and don't pay for the ride to Pundamilia (about 45 minutes). Starting about 5 minutes into the ride when the money guy is collecting for the driver- they start to argue. As luck would have it, 1 of the drunken, pot smelling, glue bottle hooked to his teeth, but otherwise fine example of a young man :)), is sitting next to me. Really, half ON me as is the case with these cozy transport systems. In between yelling at the money taker and bantering back and forth with his friend behind him he managed to bury his nose in my arm and inhale deeply, each time a little longer until finally he has just decided to fight and yell AND lay is head on me breathing in my "coconut smell" (lotion)...simultaneously. What a multitasker...:) Anyhooo, I digress, regarding my discussion above on how everyone who may have a stake is granted a say, it isn't long before the entire matatu is shouting their opinions of the situation in Kikuyu. I understood in context that 2 were mad that the guys had hit up some old ladies for some money, 1 was telling him to get the hell off, the money taker was arguing with the driver to stop and kick them off, the driver was telling them to stop yelling, and I think there may have been a live chicken joining in as well.... The end result was to trick one of the guys out to let someone else on, pop the clutch, spin the dirt in his face, leaving him in the middle of nowhere and speed away with everyone either yelling or clapping (depending on their view). Upon reflection of this incident which seems to repeat itself in some way every day, in positive and negative ways, I decided that beyond the stressors of whatever the problem in question is, the overall sense of being ALIVE is overwhelmingly good. People talk, fight, greet, yell, bargain, snap and whoop at their cattle, tssst at each other ( a surpisingly effective way of getting immediate attention from Kenyans), blare crazy music from broken speakers, beat on drums and sing begging for money. The smell of cut pineapple selling for 10 shillings a piece, sweat, fresh chapati and cow dung all hang heavy in the air together in a very alive scene. One that I know I've been missing in my sterile, polite, and very American middle class world.
While the means, lengths, and syles of communicating and problem solving are frustrating in serious situations I have recognized that they are not personal attacks on me or my values but rather a reflection of a society that, while it does have it's problems, is in many ways more alive, awake, and invested than I have witnessed before.

New Brahma Bull: Doug, one of our long term volunteers (here for 6 months) purchased a working bull and cart in order to help us to carry the material we will need to build the huge new animal enclosures. If we did not have this option we woudl have to utilize the expensive option of paying someone to transport, paying someone with a donkey or bull to help transport, or carrying it on our backs!?!? You may laugh but this could seriously be an option. I see 4'1" 90 year olds carrying loads bigger than me on their backs and holding the machete that they used to chop whatever it is they're carrying! I carried part of a bed frame on my head down to the shamba last week (about a mile), helping one of our staff members move to a new living area. I've decided that carrying anything on top of your head or strapped to your forehead are under-rated and really quite useful! :)) The strap mark on my forhead is less attractive than I would hope however... :)))

Fresh Eggs: I have been granted the "blessing" as is believed in the Kikuyu culture of having a hen decide that my pillow is a good place for laying her eggs. As soon as I realized that she wouldn't poop on my bed I started to enjoy that I get to come home to fresh eggs each day! Last night as I crawled into bed I almost laid on an egg that was slightly under the corner of my blanket. I moved the egg, smiled and crawled into bed with my book. Good way to end the day :))

HIV/AIDS meeting: We had a record 20 people attend the HIV/AIDS training that was held on Saturday. Doug, I, and Cassandra ran the training and were pleased with the outcome. We had several attendees ask if we would come to their village to do the training with people who are too poor or too sick to make it to our site. This is a great success considering it is those people who need the education the most and are at the greatest risk of infecting people around them. One man spoke of a family in his village who has a disease that requires intraveneous medication and they are sharing the needles. About half of the family is positive and half negative. Obviously this is a great opportunity to possible change the outcome of someones life immediately if they are not already positive. Another younger guy asked if we could test him and if he could recieve free condoms. This is HUGE considering the stigma around even being tested for HIV. I was SOOO happy to hear this one guy ask me this since I had taught about 20 minutes straight just on stigmas and how they contribute to ignorance and the continued spreading of the virus.

New Play Structure: 2 of our volunteers, Danny and John, purchased and helped to build a new swing set for the kids. They have been loving it and having so much fun. I'll post pictures on FB as soon as I can.

New Well: The 2nd well is finished, hopefully putting an end to daily water shortages and fights with the supplementary water guy. The pump is working well and the water clean. I haven't had worms or ameobas for 2 weeks! Now that, I consider a success. Laying on the concrete floor barfing into my laundry bucket and having nothing but a wet wipe to clean up with was seriously a lowlight to my week 2 weeks ago. :))

Volunteer story: I'll keep it brief due to the personal nature of the conversation but would like to say that I have had an opportunity to live with a person who was born, orphaned, and adopted out of Rwanda. His mother Tutsi and father Hutu, a no win situation for anyone in that area at the time. His extended family surived the genocide living in a hole built below the neighbors house for 2 months. He was adopted out to a Belgium couple, moved to Spain and has become a shining example of what all of these children, even in the worst of circumstances could be, if given the chance. He has come back to volunteer his time here and in Rwanda, saying that he needed to go back after visiting 2 years after the genocide and still seeing skeletons laying in abandon schools, churches, bushes, etc. I can't believe that I was 17 years old during the genocide and knew so little about the details until later. Until last week I was not aware that 2 years later skeletons of children and teachers still draped the desks, and people littered the bushes. I feel so blessed for this and many opportunities for growth and understanding that I've had thus far. Every day feels like I'm living half of a lifetime compared the easy days that came and went before.

Now that I have given you, yet another installment into my jumbled, chaotic brain I think I am done for today. :)) Thank you as always for your support, prayers, and good thoughts. I will keep you updated on the incident from last week. Ann

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for keeping those of us who think of you and your family every day so up to date on what you're going through and dealing with. What an amazing change of perspective, both from positive and negative experiences. There is so much to be learned in this life, and I think every experience gives us one more chance to become the inspiration for someone, to take inspiration from someone, to change something or to be changed by something - and through it all to glorify the one who made it all possible. I can't wait to hear your next update! Bec

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing pictures you paint with your words. I absolutely love reading your thoughts and impressions of this new world you have chosen. Your understanding, compassion, tolerance, and whimsical reporting make me so proud to be your Mom. I'd love to take credit for it, but in truth you were born marching to your own drummer and what a band leader you've become. You are in my heart and in my prayers every day. You keep writing...

    ReplyDelete